Why Oxytocin is so Important?
Oxytocin is sometime called the “love hormone” because this levels increase during sex. It is also associated with empathy, trust and relationship-building and is being used to treat depression, sexual dysfunction, anxiety and gastrointestinal issues.
Oxytocin is a neurotransmitter and a hormone that is produced in the hypothalamus and then transported to and secreted by the pituitary gland.
15 benefits of oxytocin:
- Impacts bonding and trust. People in the first stages of a romantic relationship have higher levels of this than single individuals.
- It helps women with labor by stimulating contractions and helps a mother bond with her new baby.
- Aids in sexual stimulation including playing a role in getting an erection and achieving orgasm.
- Helps couples develop a greater sense of intimacy and attachment.
- Induces feelings of optimism and increases self-esteem.
- Helps people overcome social inhibitions and may benefit people diagnosed with an autistic spectrum disorder.
- Reduces stress and anxiety and reduces the production of the stress hormone cortisol.
- Helps people suffering from depression.
- Aids in your metabolism and help improve blood glucose levels.
- Reduces inflammation and can help relieve pain and heal wounds.
- Improves digestion, reduces GI inflammation and alleviates food sensitivities.
- Can help improve the symptoms associated with autoimmune disorders.
- May benefit people diagnosed with irritable bowel syndrome.
- Improves memory
- Fosters generosity
At Indian Lake Medical, we recommend a sublingual route compounded by an expert pharmacist. Oral administration is ineffective because chymotrypsin is present in the GI tract and destroys oxytocin. A nasal spray is an option, but studies have shown oxytocin when taken by nasal spray does not cross the blood brain barrier. This is not approved by the FDA and there are no over the counter products that contain actual oxytocin.
Researchers have just started to learn about the benefits of oxytocin. Some research suggests that oxytocin might be used to slow the signs of aging by aiding in muscle maintenance and repair. Additional studies are being conducted to evaluate the use of this is to reduce overeating, treating leaky gut syndrome and protect against breast cancer.
If you are interested in learning more about the potential benefits of oxytocin, contact us today at Indian Medical Lake Weight Loss.